Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Marathon

Last night I felt like I was part of the Iron Chef challenge.  It was a marathon cooking session.  I managed to get 6 dishes done in 2 1/2 hours.  I was beat.

Why?  Well you see with two kids it's not so fun to go out to eat anymore, and also you end up spending an average of $30 when you go out to eat.  I'm not going to Mickey D's or Denny's anytime soon so that''s not considered a meal for me.  We like to eat well around here, and sadly that does add up on groceries, but when I consider yesterday's grocery bill for $100 which included a pack of Seventh Generation diapers for each girl and a box of wipes, I have to say I got lots of stuff.  I didn't even take on making meatballs or the rhubarb and custard yet.

So, what was the menu?  It was a random assortment of things since I wanted to get as much cooking as I could so I don't have to do it everyday.  Even though it will be near 100 degrees today, I had to get some ox tail since my daughter loves it.  Sorry no pic on that.

Then there was the amazing deal on local mussels.  Mmmm it was so good with some white wine and lots of garlic.

We also had dover sole with some lemon and garlic.

And the Broccoli rabe, which sadly I over cooked juggling everything else. 
 My new favorite is to add a salted anchovy to the garlic.. mmm!

The chicken curry was not for last night, but it had to be cooked.

A side of pasta and it was time for a celebratory dinner.

My daughter helped me out in the kitchen with a few things, but then decided it would be best if she set the table for us.  And as you can see we had dinner at her table, but all managed to squeeze in.
 This is her plate of food. It was a lot of fun to watch her dipping bread in the mussel broth and then trying to open the shells to eat them :)

So there you have it.  Dinner at our house on a Monday night.  I don't think I'll be attempting all that again since I didn't have enough burners to get it all, and had to keep rotating to fit it all in.  We might have to survive on popsicles tonight if it gets any hotter!  Summer fun, homemade popsicles are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...