Thursday, February 28, 2013

Heirloom Tomato Seeds - and Kids

Starting heirloom tomato seeds is like having a child.  You tend to them daily, watch them grow, caring for them ever so lovingly.  Making sure they get the right nutrients, sun, and enough time outside.  You move them ever so gently and then, let them flourish on their own outside.  You give them the room to grow and bear their own fruit.  You are proud and happy to see them do well.

Yes, this is a bit excessive, but I am obsessed with tomatoes and my children.  We got started on both about the same time, so having my children involved in the process is even more dear to my heart.  I started 4 years ago with my oldest daughter, and yesterday with my second.  I love sharing this activity with them.  It's been a joy to see them as excited and interested and also developing a pallet for the varied and gorgeous tomatoes out there.

This year I did not buy new seeds from Tomatofest.  I love the huge variety they have the 90%  or more yield from the seeds.  It is a bit more work than going and picking up plants from the nursery, but it's so worth it. 

I look forward to updating and sharing how this years crop will do.  As I mentioned in my previous post, last years heat was disheartening for the tomato crop.  There is nothing remotely OCD about me, but when it comes to my tomato seeds, I'm over the top!

This year (so far) the varieties are:
Evergreen
Black from Tula
Cherokee Purple
Eva Purple Ball
Black Cherry (the most popular so far)
Candy's Old Yellow
Blondkopfchen
Belii Naliv
Moskovich
Golden Grape
Big Rainbow






Shared on: wildcrafting wednesday, simple lives thursdays, small footprint family, Mums make Lists,  Back to Basics, fresh eggs daily, Fresh Bites Friday, Wednesday Fresh Food Sunday Parenting Party, hip homeschool moms,  Living Green Tuesday, HomeAcre Hop,  Food Renegade, Eat Make Grow,
 

4 comments:

  1. I love tomatoes. I gobble them up during gardening season, and then go without them during the winter, other than the ones that got canned. I do not like to eat store bought tomatoes, they are so tasteless! thank you for linking up at Wildcrafting Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I hope you'll share this on The HomeAcre Hop today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/03/the-homeacre-hop-12-and-giveaway-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I got it in there. I'll be doing an update on the seedlings and garden when I get some time, so I hope to post on the hop again next week!

      Delete
  3. Love the names of the tomato varieties! Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! See you Thursday on the next hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/the-homeacre-hop-13.html

    We'll be announcing a new giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...